Working out consistently is one of the most important but challenging things we try to do! It’s easy to convince ourselves that we’re too tired to head to the gym or we don’t have enough time for the commute to there and back. I got the perfect solution for that…workout in the comfort of your own home! There are SO many workouts you can do without going to the gym. I rounded up some to share with you that can be done in just 30 minutes to an hour & how to do them. Today I’m sharing 5 workouts you can easily master at home!
Burpees are one of the most effective workouts for full body training. Plus, it’s a fun way to get some cardio in and sweat! You’ll want a yoga mat for these so I linked a couple of top rated ones I think you’ll love! The reversible mat on the left is from Lululemon and the mat with straps is an Amazon find- under $20!
How to properly do burpees:
- Start in a squat position with your knees bent & feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your hands to the floor and keep them inside your feet.
- Kick your feet back and get into a pushup position.
- Do one pushup (keep your back straight!)
- Jump your feet back to their starting position.
- Jump up and reach your arms over your head.
- Get back into the first position & repeat!
A classic workout- squats! They are so easy to do at home because you basically don’t need anything to do them- unless you want to add weights! I linked some small, easy to store dumbbells with a stand from Amazon you can hold while you do squats for extra weight!
How to properly do squats:
- Stand with your feet a little wider than hip-width apart.
- Push your hips backwards while bending your knees.
- Sit into a squat position (keep heels and toes on the ground!)
- Try to get your knees bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Stand back up while pressing into your heels.
Lunges are another great workout you can do at home! You can do them with or without weights and they’re super effective to tone your legs, butt, and core. Side note, if you do them while wearing sneakers at home, it’ll help you feel more grounded and you won’t topple to the sides as easily!
How to properly do lunges:
- Start in a standing position
- Step forward with your foot and try to reach a 90 degree angle
- Put the lunging leg back to the starting position
- Repeat on one leg or switch on & off between legs!
4. Push Ups
Push ups are awesome for upper body strength. They can even help strengthen your core and lower back! If you’re a beginner, you might want to start with your elbows on the ground and if you have more upper body strength to begin with, you can try removing one leg from the ground or one arm off the ground! One more trick is to wear a weighted vest. This one is from Amazon and is $50- it’ll last for years and you can add it to any workout!
How to properly do push ups:
- Get down on all fours- make sure your hands are slightly wider than your shoulders.
- Straighten your arms and legs.
- Lower your body, bending your elbows until your chest almost touches the floor.
- PUSH yourself back up, straightening your arms.
5. Sit Ups
Sit ups are another classic workout. They can burn if you’re totally new to them but for extra resistance, try lifting your legs up with ankle weights on and then lift your core how you’d normally do a sit up! It’ll burn in the BEST way! I love these Bala bangles that you can use on your ankles! They’re on sale RIGHT NOW at Anthropologie for $39!
How to properly do sit ups:
- Roll out your yoga mat and lie down on your back.
- Bend your legs
- Either cross your hands on opposite shoulders, or place them behind your ears.
- Lift your head and shoulder blades (be sure to exhale here!)
- Lower back down to the ground and inhale, then repeat!